- 1 can Sauerkraut (approx. 750 gm), drained
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2/3 cup liquid (broth, white wine, or apple juice)
- salt, pepper, sugar (for seasoning)
- 4 kasseler chops (1 per person)
- 1 tbsp oil or butter
- 3/4 cups liquid (broth, or white wine)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup coffee cream
- 2 – 3 tbsp corn starch
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a deep frying pan. Add the well-drained sauerkraut and brown. Add the chopped onion and continue browning. Add more oil if needed.
- Add 2/3 cup liquid and season with salt, pepper and sugar. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Add extra liquid if needed to keep sauerkraut moist.
- In another pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil or butter. Slowly brown the kassler. Remove from pan once browned and warmed through.
- Add 3/4 cups liquid to pan that kassler was browned in, scraping up browned bits. Bring to simmer. Add the cream.
- Mix cornstarch in a little cold water and slowly add just enough to simmering liquid to thicken for sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper. Return kassler to sauce to keep warm.
- Serve kassler with sauce and sauerkraut, along with boiled potatoes.