- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon spicy paprika
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 pounds beef shank, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil and saute the onions and sugar until caramelized.
- Add the garlic and caraway seed.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sweet and sharp paprika, marjoram, thyme, and bay leaf. Saute another minute, until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste. Deglaze with the vinegar and the stock and add the pieces of beef shank, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Optional: Serve with Spaetzle, Knödel or Pasta on the side.