- Puffs: 1/2 cup butter (unsalted if you can get it)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup flour
- Dash salt (only if using unsalted butter)
- 2 large eggs
- Filling: 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- powdered sugar for sprinkling on top
- Heat oven to 400° (375° if convection).In a saucepan, heat the butter and water to a rolling boil.
- Stir in flour (and salt, if using) all at once and beat vigorously about 1 minute, or until a ball forms.
- Remove from heat and beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until batter is smooth and glossy.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet about 3 in. apart.
- Bake 35-40 minutes (less if convection) until puffy and golden brown all over.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- For Filling: Beat whipping cream, sugar and extract in a deep bowl until fluffy and holds its form well. Keep chilled until use.
- Just before serving, split the puffs, remove any damp insides and fill with the cream mixture.
- Looks nicest if you use a fluted pastry tube for this.
- Place caps back on puffs and sprinkle with powdered sugar; serve immediately.