- 1 (5-lb.) beef eye of round
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine vinegar
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 bouquet garni (1 tbsp. pickling spices, 14 whole cloves, 8 whole black peppercorns, 3 bay leaves, 3 sprigs thyme, 2 sprigs parsley, wrapped in cheesecloth, tied with kitchen twine)
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisins
- 6 gingersnaps, crumbled
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- Season beef liberally with salt in large bowl.
- Bring wine, vinegar, 1 onion, carrot, bouquet garni, and 4 cups water to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan; pour over beef.
- Cover and refrigerate, turning once or twice a day, for 5 days.
- Remove beef from marinade; pour marinade through a fine strainer into a bowl, and dry beef thoroughly. (Reserve 5 cups of the marinade and the bouquet garni.)
- Heat 2 tbsp. butter and bacon in an 8-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat; cook until bacon renders its fat, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to a plate; set aside. Add beef; cook, turning, until browned all over, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Heat oven to 325°. Add remaining onions to pot; cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 18 minutes.
- Return beef to pot with reserved marinade and sachet; boil. Cover; bake until beef is very tender, about 2 1⁄2 hours.
- Transfer beef to a platter; pour sauce through a fine strainer into a bowl.
- Return pot to medium-high heat; add remaining butter. Add flour and sugar; cook, whisking constantly, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add sauce, raisins, gingersnaps, and juice; return beef to sauce. Bring to a simmer, cover pot, and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Thinly slice beef; arrange on a platter. Spoon sauce over top; sprinkle with bacon and parsley.