- 1½ pounds red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 large Granny Smith or other semi-tart apple, peeled, cored and diced
- ¼ cup butter (paleo: use grass fed or oil, vegans: use oil)
- 2 tablespoons red currant jam, or cherry preserves (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour (gluten free and paleo: omit)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and cook the onions until lcaramelized and just beginning to brown, 7-10 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the apple, broth, bay leaf, cloves, juniper berries, red currant jam, red wine vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add more broth if needed.
- Combine the flour and water until dissolved and stir into the Rotkohl.
- Simmer for another minute. Add more salt, sugar and vinegar to taste.
- Traditionally served with roasts, Rouladen, Sauerbraten and potatoes, Spaetzle or Knoedel.