- 1/3 lb raisins
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 14 oz ground poppy seed
- 7 oz sugar
- 4 cups milk
- 1 lb stale white bread
- 1-3/4 oz diced almonds
- Soak the raisins in the orange liqueur. Boil the poppy seeds, raisins and 3 1/2 oz of sugar in 2 cups of milk.
- After the mixture comes to a boil, remove the pot from the stove immediately.
- Cut bread into pieces and put it into a bowl, dusting it with sugar. Heat the remaining milk and pour it over the bread.
- Combine the almonds with the poppy seeds. Apply alternating layers of the poppy seed mixture and the bread into the form.
- Try to make the layers as even in size as possible which will give the individual portions a nice layered pattern.
- Cover it and place the cake in the fridge overnight .
- This dessert can be served with fruit sauce.