- 18 oz all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/3 – 1 2/3 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 oz butter, melted and cooled off
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp shaved almonds
- coarse sugar
- 1 little king figurine or 1 dry bean
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Form a basin in the center.Heat the milk until hand warm. Dilute the the yeast into a little bit of the milk.
- Pour milk, milk and yeast mix plus butter into the flour basin.
- Knead until the dough is soft and smooth. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let rest at room temperature until the size has doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Knead the dough again and let rest for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Cut off 1/4 of the dough and shape into a ball. Put onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Divide the rest of the dough into 8 same sized balls, hiding the king or bean in one of them.
- Place the balls around the center piece. Cover with a wet kitchen towel and let rest 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Mix the egg yolk with the milk and baste the whole cake. Garnish with almond shavings and coarse sugar.
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- If you want to bake the version with golden raisins: Soak 3.5 oz golden raisins in hot water during 1 hour. Knead them into the dough after it has rested the first time, before the second rest period.
- Finish the cake as described above.