- 1.6 lbs potatoes (mealy or mashing type like Russet)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 small egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- vegetable oil for frying
- Scrub or wash potatoes and boil in salty water in their skins until fork tender. Drain water, peel potatoes and press through the potato ricer into a bowl while still hot.
- Let cool.
- Separate egg carefully, add 1 egg yolk and the butter in flakes to the potatoes as well as the flour, the salt and the nutmeg. Whisk the egg white in a separate bowl, add the bread crumbs into a second bowl and set aside.
- Knead the dough quickly with your hands. Make golf size balls with your hands then shape into cylindrical form. Place the croquettes into the whisked egg white and coat on all sides, then place them into the bread crumbs by gently pressing.
- Pre-heat a deep fryer or a large skillet 0.5 – 1 inch high with oil to medium-high or 180° C/ 356° F. Drop a few bread crumbs inside the oil if not using a deep fryier, if oil sizzles around bread crumbs then the oil is hot enough.
- Adjust heat down to medium or medium-low if croquettes are browning too quickly. Turn croquettes occasionally and fry until golden brown.
- You can serve it with Rinderschmorbraten, Jägerschnitzel, Schweinemedaillons, or, or, or…