- 4 – 8 ounces jars of carrot baby food or 1 ¾ cup carrot puree, (baby food)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups +2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolk, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, gently spray 2 – 9 inch round baking pans with cooking oil and set aside.
- Mix all of the ingredients listed above together until smooth and there are no chunks. Pour batter into the prepared pan, making sure to divide evenly.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack until completely cooled.
- While cake is cooling prepare frostings. Make German Chocolate Cake Frosting first, so that it has time to cool.
- Cake Frosting: In a large saucepan combine evaporated milk and cornstarch and mix; add in sugar, egg yolks, margarine and vanilla. Cook over low-medium heat until it reaches a slow boil. Stirring constantly until thick, about 12 minutes from when it starts to slowly boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in pecans and coconut, this frosting will thicken up as it cools. Let the frosting completely cool.