- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 lemon, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 lbs cod
- For the mustard sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cooking liquid (from fish)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon cream, half-and-half or 1 -2 tablespoon whole milk
- Place water, lemon, onions, carrots, bay leaves, peppercorns in a deept skillet and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add fish in a single layer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
- Save the cooking liquid for the sauce.
- Place fish on a warm platter.
- To make the mustard sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Add flour, a little at a time, stirring well.
- Stir in liquid from fish.
- Add mustard, salt and sugar. Stir well.
- Remove from heat, add 1 tablespoon of the cream or milk. Sauce should be smooth and creamy. If sauce is too thick, add more cream or milk.