- 25 floz of red dry wine
- 3.4 floz water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ sliced lemon
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- Two cardamom pods
- Two cinnamon sticks
- Take a large saucepan or a pot and heat red wine in it. Ensure that you do not boil the wine as the boiling process will lead to evaporation of alcohol.
- Take a sliced lemon, cloves, star anise, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, sugar and add it to the wine in the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture until the sugar in it dissolves completely. Simmer it gently for 10-15 minutes. Make sure not to let it boil even a bit.
- Remove all the added ingredients from the mixture. These ingredients will leave its flavor in the wine.
- Portion it out in individual glasses and relish its taste
- If you do not have heatproof glasses, make use of regular glasses by placing them in warm water for approximately 10 minutes and then pour hot Glühwein in them. It would prevent your glasses from developing cracks.
- Glühwein can be enjoyed warm as well as chilled. You can store it in a bottle and place it in a refrigerator for further use.