- 1 quart broth
- 1 cup matchstick-cut, vegetables such as carrot, celery,
- celeriac or leeks (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, chives, celery leaves or other
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup – all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large room-temperature egg
- 1 cup club soda or other sparkling water
- A piece of bacon or onion for rubbing the pan (optional)
- For the soup: Heat 1 quart broth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly steam matchstick vegetables, if using.
- For the pancakes: Sift together the flour, potato starch and salt.
- Beat the egg with the club soda and then add the liquids to the flours and mix well or whisk until smooth.
- Let the batter sit for 1/2 hour.
- Rub the inside of a frying pan or crepe pan with the bacon (Schwarte) or onion for flavor (optional).
- Heat butter lightly.
- Mix batter again, briefly.
- Pour 1/3 cup batter into the hot pan and tilt pan to make a large circle.
- Fill in any holes by pushing some batter around with the back of a spoon.
- Flip pancake over when set and cook briefly. Do not brown very much.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter to make 6 pancakes. As they come off the heat, roll them up into cyliders to cool. They do not stick together that way. Cut them crosswise into into 1/4-inch strips with a sharp knife.
- Place pancakes in individual hot bowls. Ladle broth over pancakes. Garnish with steamed vegetables and sprinkle with up to 2 tablespoons chopped herbs. Serve.