- 1/2 pound smoked or cured meat (bacon or pork belly work well)
- 2 leeks
- 2-3 medium onions
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Dice meat and slighty fry it in a cast-iron pot or skillet. Thoroughly clean and trim the leeks, halve them lengthwise and slice them very thinly.
- Chop the onions finely. Add the leeks and onions, sauté until they turn translucent and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel potatoes, grate them and, using a cheesecloth, squeeze out the liquid. Beat the eggs and combine them with the ingredients in the skillet. Season to taste with salt, pepper, marjoram, nutmeg and parsley.
- Cover the pot and place into the oven for 1 – 1-1/2 hours. (If you do not own a large enough skillet or Dutch oven, you may also use a large baking dish.) In order to achieve a crunchy top layer, remove lid 15 min taking the dish out.
- Serve hot with a salad or apple puree and a semi-dry white wine.