- 2 lb potatoes, baking-type
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp Cream of Wheat (semolina)
- 4 slices bread (day old)
- Make croutons by cutting bread into cubes and browning in 2 Tbsp butter.
- Peel and grate potatoes into pan of cold water. Put grated potatoes into cheesecloth or clean dishtowel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Bring milk to boil. Add 1 tsp salt, 2 Tbsp butter, and Cream of Wheat.
- Simmer and stir until mixture forms a ball and leaves sides of pan.
- Mix Cream of Wheat mixture with grated potatoes.
- Shape into potato-sized dumplings (sprinkle flour on hands to keep from sticking to dough).
- Press 1 or 2 croutons into center of each dumpling.
- Gently drop into boiling water and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and serve, especially with meat and gravy!