- 4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (1 stick)
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 package Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Milk, lukewarm
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, cut into tiny cubes
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 package Vanilla Sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast and half of the milk. Mix in 2 tablespoons of the flour and 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Allow this mixture to sit in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Combine remaining dough ingredients then add in the yeast mixture. Mix until a smooth dough forms, then knead by hand. Allow dough to sit in a warm place until double in volume.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Grease a baking sheet. Roll out dough to fit the size of the baking sheet. Transfer dough to baking sheet.
- Prepare the crumbs by mixing the butter, vanilla sugar, and sugar. Gradually work in flour until mixture becomes dry and crumbly.
- Sprinkle crumbs over dough, distributing them evenly.
- Allow cake to sit and rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake cake for around 30 minutes or until crumbs and crust become golden brown.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Before serving, sift powdered sugar onto top of cake for decoration.