- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3/8 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Emmentaler cheese
- Sift together flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl.
- Alternately mix in milk and the flour mixture until smooth.
- Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Press batter through a spaetzle press into the water. You may also use a potato ricer, colander, or a cheese grater.
- When the spaetzle has floated to the top of the water, remove it to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Mix in 1 cup of the cheese.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, and cook until golden. Stir in spaetzle and remaining cheese until well blended.
- Remove from heat, and serve immediately.