- Grounded pork: 35.2 oz (1 kilogram)
- Salt: 0.35 to 0.7 oz (10 to 20 grams)
- White pepper: 0.07 oz (2 grams)
- Mace: a pinch of (Messerspitze)
- Caraway or marjoram (crushed): 0.07 oz (2 grams)
- Rye bread: as per requirement
- Onion: 1 large
- There are of-course other options made available in the market but preparing it at home can also be a good option.
- First, you will be required to take the bread and cut it into halves. Then spread some margarine on either side of the cut pieces.
- Now, by using a fork spread the minced pork meat on the top slice and evenly scatters salt and pepper as per requirement.
- The onions can be chopped finely and then in a pan with very little butter or regular cooking oil they could be sauté just till the point a fine golden coloring appears. The onions can then be placed on the other slice of bread.
- Mettbrötchen is now ready to be served. The usual accompaniments are tea or coffee if they are served during breakfast or otherwise just about anything else would suffice.