- 1 matjes herring per person (soused herring, a raw herring in mild brine)
- tart apple
- pickled beets
- roast pork, sliced (or chicken/turkey breast)
- lingonberry preserve
- crème fraîche
- salt & pepper
- dijon mustard
- bay leaf, allspice, pimento
- The herring should definitely be the predominant ingredient, so use all other ingredients in proportion.
- Put crème fraîche and lingonberry preserve into large mixing bowl.
- Chop the apple, beet, cornichons, shallot and cold cuts and add to the bowl.
- Add djion mustard, salt & fresh ground pepper to taste and mix well.
- Add bay leaf, allspice and pimento, cover the bowl (or fill into sealable jars) and let marinate in the refrigerator overnight – or better yet for a day or two.