- 1 c. milk
- 1 c. cream
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 c. vodka
- 1/2 c. brandy
- Heat milk, cream sugar and vanilla bean to about 160°F (use a food or meat thermometer to measure temperature).
- Beat egg yolks together. Temper egg yolks by adding a few spoonfuls of the hot milk and stirring quickly.
- Add the egg yolks to the milk in a thin stream, stirring constantly with a whisk. You may want to use an immersion blender for this step.
- Stir over low heat, keeping the temperature at about 160°F, or 70°C, for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add both alcohols and stir until well mixed.
- Pour through a sieve into a large measuring cup or through a funnel into a clean bottle. Discard vanilla bean and any solids.
- Refrigerate overnight before drinking out of small cups or egg cups. You can also use it in cocktails.